Saturday 9 April 2011

Interview with a beat boxer

This is my article for the events' website. It had to focus on music whilst also touching on multiculturalism, so I interviewed a beat boxer about both, merging the elements together so the interview was both informative yet interesting.
Hamza Fletcher met me in Birmingham to discuss his hobby

Hamza Fletcher is an 18 year old with an unusual talent. I met the beat boxing sensation and asked him about his musical hobby and learnt about his struggle to keep his religious family happy whilst continuing his love for music…
Hey Hamza. So, what made you start beat boxing?
I started beat-boxing 4 years ago. A friend shown me a video online and I was influenced to learn, so I watched an online web tutorial. I’ve played the drums for 4 years also which has helped; the beats stay in my head.”
How did you learn how to do it?
“I learnt from watching others on YouTube. Every beat boxing video that’s been uploaded, I’ve watched it. Over time, I’ve learnt to teach myself to do it properly, but I’ve been making silly noises since I was really small, which has probably helped!”
What songs can you perform?
“I can do a number of covers, such as “My Humps” by The Black Eyed Peas and “drop it like it’s hot” by Snoop Dogg and Pharrell, but my favourite is “Push it”, by Salt n Pepa. However, I can hum anything.”
Beat boxing is connected to hip-hop. Is hip-hop a big part of your culture?
I listen to a lot of hip-hop respectively, and drum and bass too. Both genres really influence the beats and music of my beat boxing. In terms of beat boxing itself, it’s extending into other types of styles. It’s getting influenced by genres such as dance, house and drum and bass.”
What culture do you feel you belong to?
“I am mixed culture. My mom is Asian and my pa is a white dude, so I guess I sit between – half Asian and half white. In terms of religion, I am a Muslim.
Do your parents enjoy your beat boxing?
“My mom doesn’t condone music due to her religious beliefs. She hated my beat boxing at first, so did my dad, in fact, my friends didn’t like it either in the beginning! But my parents fully support me now.”
Why didn’t they approve of your hobby?
“Some Muslims are against music. Some Muslims don’t believe in playing instruments, but some do. It’s a split area; people have different opinions on the matter.”
How do you showcase your talents?
“I’ve done a number of shows, mostly fundraising events in Birmingham, Sheffield and Manchester. I also enjoy teaching it - I have video tutorials on YouTube.”
Who do you perform to?
“It’s mostly young people who enjoy beat boxing. Older people don’t really seem to understand it. Teenagers like it because it’s unusual – they’ve never really heard it before. However, my beat boxing has multicultural values. I do shows for different communities and I have done Asian shows, but people of different ethnicities enjoy it and appreciate it.”
What’s your opinion on multiculturalism?
“Multiculturalism is important to me. Being from a multicultural family I think people should value it. My neighbourhood is very diverse – there are Asians, white people and black people.”
What tips would you pass on to those who want to take up beat boxing?
“I honestly believe that everyone can beat box; they’ve just got to learn how to do it. I think anything can be done with lots of practise. I would say be patient; it’s a process which can be achieved if done slowly and gradually.”
Hamza learnt beat boxing by online tutorials 
BY HANNAH MONTGOMERY
PHOTO CREDITS - CHLOE JONES

No comments:

Post a Comment